Monday, May 27, 2024
logo
Update At 14:00    USD/EUR 0,92  ↓-0.0002        USD/JPY 156,77  ↓-0.171        USD/KRW 1.365,17  ↓-0.15        EUR/JPY 170,07  ↓-0.205        Crude Oil 82,35  ↑+0.23        Asia Dow 3.992,84  ↑+6.55        TSE 1.771,00  ↓-9        Japan: Nikkei 225 38.747,20  ↑+101.09        S. Korea: KOSPI 2.699,80  ↑+12.2        China: Shanghai Composite 3.100,22  ↑+11.3489        Hong Kong: Hang Seng 18.665,79  ↑+56.85        Singapore: Straits Times 3,40  ↑+0.008        DJIA 22,07  ↑+0.02        Nasdaq Composite 16.920,80  ↑+184.795        S&P 500 5.304,72  ↑+36.88        Russell 2000 2.069,67  ↑+21.259        Stoxx Euro 50 5.035,41  ↓-2.19        Stoxx Europe 600 520,57  ↓-0.99        Germany: DAX 18.693,37  ↑+2.07        UK: FTSE 100 8.317,59  ↓-21.64        Spain: IBEX 35 11.246,00  ↓-65.1        France: CAC 40 8.094,97  ↓-7.36        

Nawras pushes the industry

Article - November 15, 2012
Emphasising broadband, the Omani telecommunications firm goes the extra mile for its loyal customer base
Although only launching its business in 2005, the telecommunications company Nawras, based in the Arabian country of Oman, has already established itself as innovative and firmly focused on the customer experience. Serving consumers and corporates, the company counts the Ministry of Finance and the Oman Airport Management company amongst its valued customers.

The Omani company prides itself on being “pleasingly different”, which according to Nawras’ CEO Ross Cormack “is a concept where we do things in a totally unique way that delights our customers, going the extra mile.”

This emphasis on quality has pushed penetration up from 30% to 170% within the telecommunications sector.

The company has also made available over 15,000 locations where clients can buy recharge cards.

Whereas 25% of the company’s customers are using a large quantity of data services such as messaging, e-mails, social networking and streaming, the remaining 75% leave room for significant growth in the mobile sector.

“Our company is about delivering broadband services to business, residences, and people on the move. This is the current growth market,” said Cormack, adding that Nawras increased its home broadband customer base by 250% in the first year. “The three areas of major growth are broadband, broadband and broadband.”
In august 2010, nawras launched a highly succesful ipo, the largest in oman since 2005


The company’s vision is in sync with the government’s initiative to provide high-quality Internet services to over 90% of the population by 2018. In fact, Cormack notes that last year the data usage in the Nawras network grew 18 times over.

Much of this growth is a reflection of the sophisticated and extensive telecommunications infrastructure that Nawras has in place in Oman. In 2011, the company celebrated the establishment of its first sea cable in the Arabian country going from Oman to Mumbai. 

“This means that we have a direct connection to nearly every city on the planet,” remarked Cormack. “There are definitely plans to extend our connectivity. Right now, we are in the early stages of the discussions on installing alternative submarine cables to give us further capacity and diversity.”

A major milestone for Nawras was its IPO launch in August 2010, the largest in Oman since 2005. Being the only stock market launch in the world that particular week, Nawras enjoyed tremendous success and recognition. The company is currently undergoing an extensive network modernisation programme, growing 3G coverage and capacity as well as preparing for a 4G LTE launch.

However, economics is only one component of Nawras’ philosophy. The company is also extensively involved in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Oman, including the prominent Nawras Goodwill Journey, where employees from the company visit those less fortunate during the annual Ramadan holiday. “What we do in our core business is the same thing that we do for our sponsorships and CSR programmes. We listen to what people want and try to deliver it to them.”

  0 COMMENTS