Tuesday, Jul 16, 2024
logo
Update At 10:00    USD/EUR 0,00  ↑+0        USD/JPY 0,00  ↑+0        USD/KRW 0,00  ↑+0        EUR/JPY 0,00  ↑+0        Crude Oil 0,00  ↑+0        Asia Dow 0,00  ↑+0        TSE 0,00  ↑+0        Japan: Nikkei 225 0,00  ↑+0        S. Korea: KOSPI 0,00  ↑+0        China: Shanghai Composite 0,00  ↑+0        Hong Kong: Hang Seng 0,00  ↑+0        Singapore: Straits Times 0,00  ↑+0        DJIA 0,00  ↑+0        Nasdaq Composite 0,00  ↑+0        S&P 500 0,00  ↑+0        Russell 2000 0,00  ↑+0        Stoxx Euro 50 0,00  ↑+0        Stoxx Europe 600 0,00  ↑+0        Germany: DAX 0,00  ↑+0        UK: FTSE 100 0,00  ↑+0        Spain: IBEX 35 0,00  ↑+0        France: CAC 40 0,00  ↑+0        

Young population spurs demand for data services

Article - December 16, 2011
Using the latest and best technology, Citycell is growing by delivering quality services to the nation’s young population
MEHBOOB CHOWDHURY, CEO OF CITYCELL
Citycell (Pacific Bangladesh Telecom Limited) is Bangladesh’s and South Asia’s pioneering mobile communications company and the only CDMA (code division multiple access) mobile operator in Bangladesh.

The company was founded in 1989 and in 2008 was converted to a publicly listed company. Citycell is currently owned by Singtel with a 45 per cent stake, and the remaining 55 per cent is owned by the Pacific Group and Far East Telecom.

The telecommunications company is a customer-driven organisation whose mission is to deliver the latest in advanced telecommunication services to Bangladesh with a full range of mobile services for consumers and businesses that are focused on the unique needs of the Bangladeshi community.
“IN WORKING TOWARDS DEVELOPING A ‘DIGITAL BANGLADESH’ IT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE HAVE A YOUNG POPULATION, THE MAJORITY OF WHICH ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 25.”

MEHBOOB CHOWDHURY, CEO of Citycell

Mehboob Chowdhury, a highly-regarded Bangladeshi business consultant and recurrent senior executive to many telecommunication companies in Bangladesh, presently runs the company. He is known to have worked with all six of the non-government telecommunication operators.

“The telecom sector has become a mass market,” said Mr Chowdhury. “In working towards developing a ‘Digital Bangladesh’ it is important to understand that we have a young population, the majority of which are under the age of 25. This means to digitise Bangladesh, appropriate applications need to be created to meet the needs of this demographic. As a network operator, I can provide these tailored applications to the youth.

“And Citycell has made the move. 3G technology has taken a shift and we have decided that we will become the most data-centric provider in the country. We launched EV-DO in 2010 which provides 3.7 megabit speed on a broadband wireless network. We are focusing on data and information services. We were the pioneers in Bangladesh and we are again, because we have taken a stand that we will be the first choice when it comes to data services.”

Keeping in line with the company’s vision of leading from the front, Citycell was proud to announce that its wireless broadband service, Zoom Ultra, won the award in the category of the Best Emerging Market Initiative at the Asia Communication Awards, held in Singapore earlier this year.

  0 COMMENTS