CPEA Angola S.A. is a company with a long history in Angola. The Gunpowder and Explosives Company of Angola was founded in 1959, and it continued its operations during the final decades of the country’s colonial period and through the civil war that followed the exit of the Portuguese.
The current version of the company was formed in 2002, when Maxam
Corp. International, or MCI, bought a 65% stake in CPEA. After that purchase, the parent company invested heavily to update and modernize its chemical formulas and equipment in order to improve safety, quality and reliability, while at the same time boosting profit.
Maxam’s explosives are used by construction companies for infrastructure projects ranging from bridges, tunnels, roads, railways and power stations. The company also provides goods and services to different countries’ armed forces including ammunition, but also services related to the cleaning and decontamination of formerly military-use land.
The company’s cartridges are used for hunting and other kinds of sport shooting, while its expertise in chemicals allows it to provide its own key raw materials. Maxam
can also provide its customers with a complete range of technical advice on environmental and energy safety issues. Maxam
does all this while maintaining the highest level of security and safety controls during the processes of manufacture, distribution, storage, and after-sales maintenance, while offering comprehensive technical assistance and constantly improving services to its many satisfied clients.